The duo behind La Casita Mexicana, Chefs Jaime Martin Del Campo and Ramiro Arvizu have arrived in Los Angeles Baldwin Hills Crenshaw area with their authentic flavors and heirloom family recipes. The long time business partners and friends for more than fifteen years have opened a new delicious authentic Mexican Cuisine location called Mexicano Restaurant and it’s delicious!
Just like La Casita Mexicana in Bell, both restaurants aren’t your typical Mexican-American cuisines, meaning, you won’t find tacos and burritos here. In fact, if you believe that’s all Mexican cuisines has to offer, I strongly suggest you keep scrolling down this page. You’re going to learn a few things today.
Chefs Jaime Martin and Ramiro are passionate cooks who are passionate about real authentic Mexican food. I mean Mexican food you can’t really find in Southern California restaurants unless you try someone’s Mexican grandmother’s home cooking. If you’re Mexican like I am, you know what I mean. The different style of mole’s, chile rellenos, pipian and fresh hand made corn tortillas. I remember when my sisters and I would come home from school and our mother would have fresh made tortillas waiting for us. Oh, yes, the joy of handmade tortillas with mantequilla (butter), there’s nothing like it. Which is why I fell in love with Mexicano and you will too once you read the rest of my experience.
The Ultimate Authentic Mexican Cuisine Experience
From the moment we walked in the door we were greeted by smiling faces and a warm welcome. I was concerned at first, because we popped in without reservations and it was Father’s Day. We were willing to wait to be seated if we had to, but that was not the case. As soon as our server showed us to our table, I was amazed by the simple but elegant folklórico decor. I’m a sucker for Virgin Guadalupe’s statues.
Quickly the waiter serves us fresh made tortilla chips drizzled with homemade beans and queso fresco. We quickly opened our menu as we all new what we wanted to order, but we were open to recommendations. Now pay attention, because I’m about to recommend a few of the best dishes and drinks you can try when you pay your first visit.
Starters and Cocktails Recommendations:
- Queso Fundido con Chorizo – served with handmade corn tortillas.
- Raspado Alegre de Jaimaca – Traditional shaved ice with natural syrup. Twist: it contains alcohol
- Raspado Alegre de Coco – Traditional shaved ice with natural syrup. Twist: it contains alcohol
- Sereno – Mezcal, house ginger cordial, fresh lime, angostura bitters and soda.
Main Course and Wine Pairing Recommendations:
- Tablita Meat Combination – Combination of beef steak, house chorizo and beef cecina. Served with beans, guacamole, grilled jalapeño pepper and onions.
- Chicken Enchiladas Tres Moles – With their famous Poblano, Pepián and Green mole served with white rice.
- 7 Chiles Filet – A delicious fish fillet smothered with our 7-chile creamy sauce served with white rice.
- Estacion Por Venir Mexican Wine – Vino Blanco de Valle De Guadalupe, a delicious chilled Sauvignon Blanc. This went great with the fish and chicken plate.
- Ensamble Arena Ba 11 Mexican Wine : Vino tinto de Valle De Guadalupe, proveniente de viñedos cultivados en los antiguos cauces de arroyo, suelos con formaciones de grava y arenas profundas, los colores claros, subrayan su origen de tierras de transporte bien drenadas. In other words, a very complicated red blend with Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. This wine was served in a chilled glass and it was amazing. This went great with the Queso Fundido and chorizo, along with the meat combo.
- Arroz con Leche – A creamy rice pudding with dulce de leche. Mexicano Style! There’s no other way to enjoy arroz con leche after this experience.
- Flan Tres Quesos – A signature three-cheese flan only served at Mexicano. This isn’t your ordinary flan. You must try this!
- Cafe de Olla – Mexican coffee. An oldie and a favorite in our Mexican household.
Is your mouth watering yet? If not, it will be. Warning, the following pictures will convince you to pay a visit soon. Enjoy.
Location: 3650 West Martin Luther King Blvd., Los Angeles, California 90008 (Inside Shopping Mall)
So what do you think? Are you paying a visit soon? If you do, let me know what you think and what you ordered.
Photos were taken with a Sony a6000 Mirrorless Interchangeable-lens camera.