They say that sprinkles are for winners and rainbows bring good luck, so I decided to make the luckiest cake and called it “Sprinkles are for Winner 5 Layer Rainbow Cake”.
Just like many on Instagram, I’m fascinated with unicorns, rainbows and anything sparkly. There’s something about the colors in a rainbow that makes anyone stop and ‘sigh’. So imagine getting surprised with a ‘just because’ cake that sparkles with colorful sprinkles. But the surprise doesn’t end there, wait till you cut this beautiful, but simple white cake open! Your life is instantly filled with color.
How To Make a Five Layer Rainbow Cake
- Grab or make your favorite white cake mix and prepare as instructed.
- Once you have your white cake mix prepared, add 2 cups of mix in 5 different bowls.
- Add 2 drops of your favorite food coloring to each bowl. I used pink, green, yellow, blue and purple.
- Add colored mix to 6′ baking pans and bake as recommended. I used Fat Daddio’s Anodized Aluminum Round Cake Pan, 6 Inches by 2 Inches
- Once cake mix is fully baked, let them cool on a rack for about 20 minutes.
- Cut off the tops of the cake to make them completely flat. Careful not to cut too much off and make sure when cutting that you’re cutting straight.
- Start stacking the cakes with the cut part down. Add your frosting to each layer. I used buttercream frosting. It’s more secure and will keep the layers together.
- Once the layers are all frosted and stacked up, frost the outside. Store in refrigerator for 30 min to 1hr for the frosting to set.
- The cake will be stiff once you take out of the fridge. Add another layer of frosting all around.
- Adding sprinkles to the side of the cake is difficult, but with patience, add a good amount of sprinkles in your palm and gently press against the side of the cake. Sprinkles should stick. Some recommended to roll the cake on a bed of sprinkles. I haven’t dared to try that yet. But if you know of a better hack, please do share! There has to be a better way.